Our Priest – in – charge is available for wedding preparation, baptisms and confirmation, and to conduct weddings. Please make contact with the Administrator for any queries or to make arrangements.
St Vedast is a glorious site for a wedding or marriage blessing. It offers a light and spacious yet intimate space for up to about 140 guests, and is near many popular landmarks and venues for receptions. St Vedast’s strong musical tradition, coupled with an incredibly talented director of music, means we have numerous options with regards to music and singers which you could explore for your wedding day. Our secluded courtyard garden also offers a lovely venue for small pre- or post-ceremony receptions and unique photographs. We love to welcome new couples to our church, and would be delighted to help you arrange your special day at St Vedast.
Have a look at photos of past weddings at St Vedast on our Photos page.
Who may be married at St Vedast?
St Vedast is very welcoming to new couples who would like to join the congregation and be married in the church.
If you live in our small parish (see the map in the ‘find us’ section of our A Church Near You site), regardless of whether you are a member of the Church of England, of a different Christian religion, you may be entitled to be married at St Vedast under this criteria.
Many other couples who don’t live nearby may also be married in the church under various different types of licence. The Church of England provides the following guidelines for getting married in a church whose parish you do not live in: you and your partner need to show:
That one of you:
- has at any time lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months or
- was baptised in the parish concerned or
- was prepared for confirmation in the parish or
- has at any time regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months or
That one of your parents, at any time after you were born:
- has lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months or
- has regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months or
That one of your parents or grandparents:
- was married in the parish
- Or, because we are a City church, you could be married at St Vedast if you parents or grandparents has or had a connection to one of the livery companies within our parish.
- Even if you cannot demonstrate any of the above connections, we want to help you explore whether it may still be possible for you to marry in our special church. Just contact the Administrator.
For various reasons, couples often wish to have a marriage blessing in church following a civil ceremony. We are very happy to have blessings here, to help provide a Christian foundation to a long and happy marriage. Blessings can take a very similar form to a marriage ceremony – with music, hymns, prayers and declarations – or be varied to suit your requirements.
If you wish to explore the possibility of a blessing, do contact us.
A ceremony of baptism – whether of a baby, young child or adult – marks the entry of the candidate into the family and faith of the church, and the beginning of a journey which involves turning away from all that is evil and towards Christ.
Baptisms may be held at St Vedast either as part of the regular Sunday service of Eucharist, or as a private service on another day. The parish hall and courtyard are available for receptions afterwards. Contact the Administrator for further information.
Please do contact the Administrator in order to make arrangements for funerals.